Corop, Victoria, Australia: Information about Corop community for visitors and locals

History of Corop

Historic buildings

Historical buildings are limited in Corop due to the temporary nature of the buildings of the late 1800s. Corop was a bustling township in the early 1900s, with a blacksmith, stores, library, hall, hotels and much more but societal change, combined with the ravages of time (and white-ants), leave little for the historian.

There remain two old churches — the Church of England (circa 1892) and the Presbyterian Church (circa 1883) — but both are privately owned. What was a butcher shop (one of several hotels in Corop) in the late 1800s is also a private home. The school closed in 1983 and is also now a home. A number of shacks, sheds, houses and cottages dating back to the first settlers are scattered around the district on farms.